OK there is a story behind this two pictures. I’ve been dealing with a lot of stress lately so I haven’t felt or looked my best. Today I couldn’t sit still thinking about going to work because I couldn’t stand how ugly I looked or useless I am.
I took these pictures because I want to be able to look back at them at a later time and call myself on my bullshit. Right now I just can’t but I can say: Here is what I look like today and I’m going to work like this.
And that’s enough for right now. Please let me know if you have any tips for when you feel like this!
I have sensitive, fry-an-egg-on oily, acne-prone skin. I’m also extremely vigilant when it comes to sun protection and (attempting) keep my skin clear so I don’t pick on it. In the past, I’ve had issues conquering my dermatillomania/ excoriation disorder. I was finally able to leave my skin alone (for the most part) by letting it heal, visiting a dermatologist, using copious amounts of SPF, and paying strict attention to the ingredients in the products I use. Yes, my skin still breaks out and sometimes I can’t help but pick on it, but for the past year I’ve had pretty nice skin and a lot of it is simply due to knowing how to take care of it. Below is my skincare routine and the products I use.
- A gentle face wash. Either Soy Fresh Facial Cleanser (my favorite) when I have the money or a gift card, Cerave foaming face wash, or Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser.
- A Benyzol Peroxide acne cream on alternating days or a few drops of Glossier’s Super Glow facial serum
- A moisturizer. Either Cerave Moisturizing Lotion or CeraVe Night Time Moisturizer (yes for day time).
- Eye Cream. I use Cerave’s eye cream.
- SPF. My favorites are Glossier’s SPF 35 or the Physical SPF 41 Water Resistant from Elta MD. I also sometimes use Cerave’s Morning Facial Moisturizer SPF 30 but it sometimes plies on me but it’s great otherwise and allows you to skip the all over moisturizing step
- Lip Balm to prep my lips.
- Makeup (I always use a Tinted Moisturizer with SPF unless it’s an event. Then I use a cushion foundation.)
Extra step: Before makeup, if my skin is red, I use Dr Jart’s Tiger Grass Cream with SPF 30. It color corrects well without me having to add extra makeup.
- Makeup Remover (if I wore makeup). I like the Simple Micellar Water best.
- Gentle Facial Cleanser (same as above)
- A Retinoid Acne/ skin treatment. I use adapalene 0.1 cream.
- A facial moisturizer. Either of the Cerave ones without SPF with a few drops of the Ordinary’s Hyaluronic acid+B5 facial serum
Treatments (mostly done at night):
About once a week at night I use Drunk Elephant’s Baby Facial TLC. On the nights I use this I don’t use the retinoid cream and the next morning I won’t use the benyzol cream so I can avoid drying/ overtreating my skin.
Once or twice a week (also at night and at least two days from the time I used the Drunk Elephant Baby Facial) I use my Clarisonic with the Cerave facial serum
I make sure to use some sort of moisturizing facial mask as well but I haven’t found a good one that isn’t a sample of an obnoxiously expensive product.
Thank you for reading! Let me know what products work well for you and what SPF you like. 🙂